I started incorporating Trisets into my workouts the last week. Trisets are great for adding a lot of volumn and shocking your muscles into growth. Another bonus you also get the benefit of a cardio effect because your heart rate stays up for the entire workout.
Legs are a very taxing muscle group and when you incorporate trisets your heart rate and calorie burn go even higher. My heart rate got up to 148 beats per minute during the major lifts. Look at that Calorie burn. That was zero cardio other then a 5 minute warmup before I started.
I love to do my leg workout on the day after my treat meal aka REFEED because my glycogen stores are over flowing and I am strongest on the day after my REFEED. You need glycogen to be able to lift extra heavy. Don't give up the carbs folks. However that is another blog post on its own.
A TRISETis three exercise performed back to back for the same muscle group with no rest in between exercises. You only rest after you complete all three exercises of the Triset.
My workout today consisted of three trisets and a burnout set. I made mine extra hard by adding in a 5th set of the hardest exercise of the triset. My rep range was any where from 10 -15 reps depending on the exercise I was doing. I finished off with a body weight burnout circuit to fry the legs really good.
There are videos of some of the moves I did today at the bottom of this blog post. I did not refilm the exercises. I highlighted the ones I did in the videos so you can give them a try yourself.
Give this workout a try and let me know how you did.
Quads, Hamstrings, and GLutes Triset WOD
Do four sets of each triset before moving on to the next triset.
MY rep range will be beside each exercise.
1. Wide Leg Press 15, 10,10,10
2.Leg extenstions 10,10,10,10
3. Hex Bar Deadlifts 15, 12, 12, 12, 10
1. Stiff leg Deadlifts 15, 12,12,12,10
2. Cable Pull through 15, 15, 15, 15
3. Lying Hamstring curls 10, 10, 10, 10
1. Frog Leg Press 10, 15, 15, 15, 15
2. Plie Kettlebell Squat 10, 10, 15, 15, 15
3. Standing smith machine calf raises 15, 15, 15, 15
Body weight burnout finisher
No rest between each exercise. Just keep moving from one exercise to the next. It's a burn out set. It should burn and your legs should be on FIRE.
1. Body wieght single leg low pulse lunge 20 per leg
2. Body weight waling lunges x 50
3. Body weight Plie low pulse squat x 50
4. body weight single leg low pulse lunge 20 per leg
5. Body weight Plie Low pulse squat x 50
Hex Bar Deadlifts (top Left and left middle)
Wide Leg press (Top Right)
Plie Squat (bottom middle)
The other moves were part of my five minute warmup at the begining of my workout.